Sign in to join Michael Taylor's fan club.
Wardrobe Essentials For Men
by Michael Taylor(70)
At the end of each season, I like to do a reassessment of my entire wardrobe. It's a good time to discard any apparel that has seen better days, and make a donation box of items that I haven't worn in the last year. So with the end of the summer drawing near, it's time for my quarterly closet examination. And to prepare for the transition into fall, I will also be making sure that I have all of the following wardrobe staples. These are the essentials that every man needs in order to be ready for any occasion, whether it's a backyard barbecue, a dinner date, or a day at the office.
- A navy or dark gray suit. You may be a guy who only needs a suit a few times a year. But every man needs at least one great, well-tailored suit. Navy and dark gray are very versatile because, along with the right shirt and tie, they can work for a variety of occasions from weddings, to job interviews, to evening events and others.
- Black leather shoes and a black belt; brown leather shoes and a brown belt.
- A crisp white dress shirt. A good white button down shirt can be worn with a suit and tie, layered under a sport jacket or sweater vest, or even layered under a silk screened tee shirt. It is so versatile (it should not, however, just be worn by itself, especially with khakis. This look tends to come off a bit boring).
- A solid colored tie; a diagonally striped tie. These are the basics. However, having several different patterns and widths of ties can insure that you are ready for a variety of occasions, and you can try out different tie knotsin order to keep your tie repertoire modern and interesting.
- Flat front khakis.
- Dark gray trousers in cotton or wool.
- An overcoat. Contrary to popular belief, "overcoat" doesn't mean "long coat." It can be a waist length coat, car coat, or length coat.
- A dark colored sport jacket.
- Blue jeans. Whether you prefer classic Levi's or a designer brand, how can you go without this quintessential American staple? Dark wash tends to look great on everyone.
- A sweater vest or v-neck sweater. For times when you need to look nice but not "formal", a sweater is a great layer to add over your button up shirt.
- Athletic wear. Hey, if you're not athletic, you'll still need it for household chores and lawn work.
- A hat (other than a baseball cap).
- Fitted solid color tees. By "fitted" I don't necessarily mean "tight." Fitted or athletic cut tees have a little less fabric, so they hang closer to the body. This gives them a cleaner, nicer look than boxy, tent-like tees.
- Fashion sneakers. Reserve actual athletic shoes or running shoes for those activities.
- Sunglasses. Go for a classic style rather than a super trendy one.
Author: Michael Taylor is a Marketing Manager at TIE SNUG. TIE SNUG eliminates continuous adjusting and makes wearing a tie more comfortable. The right necktie accessories can ensure you look professional and help you stand out for the right reasons. Now you can be confident knowing your tie knot looks great. For more information, please visit http://www.tiesnug.com.
Article submitted Saturday, September 10, 2011 & read 27 times.
Please log in to leave your comments.
No comments yet.
Copyright © 2012 IcoLogic, Inc.